I was fortunate to see a collection of Van Gogh’s works on exhibit at the St. Louis Art Museum several years ago. If you ever have the opportunity, take it. No matter how many times we see his paintings in the media, nothing compares to seeing them in person.
Van Gogh has been on my mind lately. It began last week when our family sat down for a game of Masterpiece. Eight-year-old Mark immediately recognized the artist’s likeness in the center of the game board and launched at once into the ear-cutting story. Kids are fascinated by that sort of thing, you know.
For the last few days, it seems that everywhere I look, I see reproductions of Van Gogh’s most famous paintings:
Vincent van Gogh was born on March 30, 1853, in Groot-Zundert, Netherlands. He was a post-impressionist painter whose work influenced 20th-century art. Van Gogh’s paintings are noted for their brilliant colors and the emotions they evoke.
Throughout his life, Van Gogh struggled with mental illness. He made little money from his painting and was virtually unknown at the time of his death. He died in France on July 29, 1890, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
As for me, I am rather often uneasy in my mind, because I think that my life has not been calm enough; all those bitter disappointments, adversities, changes keep me from developing fully and naturally in my artistic career.” – Vincent van Gogh
For a lighter look at Vincent Van Gogh, pick up Starry Night, the movie.
It’s sad to think of how he suffered in his lifetime and how little recognition and reward he received. We look upon him now as one of the greatest artists who have ever lived. I wish he could have known.
- Starry Night (Van Gogh – painting) (thecuriousastronomer.wordpress.com)
- ‘Starry Night’ By Vincent Van Gogh, Made Of Bacon (americanlivewire.com)
- “Starry Night” by Vincent Van Gogh (jillgosche.wordpress.com)
- Van Gogh (jasmineohadi1.wordpress.com)
- Van Gogh’s Starry Night (valohm1126.wordpress.com)
- “The Starry Night” – Vincent Van Gogh (yonishor.wordpress.com)
- Vincent Van Gogh (susanfountain.wordpress.com)
- Arles: Van Gogh Was Here (remysreflections.wordpress.com)
- Incredibly Detailed Close-Ups of Van Gogh’s Masterpieces (twistedsifter.com)
- Starry Nights (becauseireadso.com)