I have basil growing in my herb garden…along with lavender, thyme, lemon balm, rosemary, oregano, spearmint, peppermint, and dill. Cooking with fresh herbs makes meals taste so much better.
- Botanical Name: Ocimum basilicum
- Common Name: basil
- Folk Names: American dittany, alabahea, St Joseph Wort, sweet basil, witches herb, our herb
- Habitat & Description: Erect plant with lots of branches, aromatic annual or short lived perennial. Small whorls of white flowers. Zone 10 rich, light well drained soil to dry soil.
- Planetary Ruler: Mars.
- Gender: male
- Elemental Rule: fire
- Parts Used: whole plant
- Culinary Uses: flavoring for soups, stews, salads and Italian based meals, tomato sauces
- Medicinal Uses: Fever, digestion, anxiety
- Magickal Uses: purification, protection, love, soothes tempers.
- Botanical Name: Allium sativum
- Common Name: Garlic
- Folk Names: Ajo, Poor man’s treacle, stinkweed
- Habitat & Description: Perennial with a globe bulb of 5-15 bulblets in a papery white to mauve skin, flat leaves up to 24 inches long. Green/white flowers in summer, zone 4-9
- Planetary Ruler: Mars
- Gender: Male
- Elemental Rule: Fire
- Parts Used: bulbs, leaves, flowers
- Culinary Uses: garlic enhances flavors in meats, seafood and vegetables.
View original post 133 more words